Locate your flashlights and stabilize your homeowners insurance in New London, CT before power outages!
Unless you live in a hut in the depths of the woods, you probably rely on electricity every day! From technology use to the toaster to your hair dryer, power is an important part of our daily functions. Most of us tend to realize this when the power goes out. While we’re stumbling around in the dark trying to find that flashlight is the time during which we wish we’d been prepared!
Fortunately, we’ve compiled the basics of how to prepare for a power outage!
• Build an emergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
• Purchase ice bags to keep food cold during a temporary power outage.
• Keep a flashlight and extra batteries in an easy-to-reach location.
• Keep the refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
• Turn off and disconnect appliances and other equipment in case of a momentary power “surge” that can damage devices.
• Use your gas stove to cook food or boil water.
• Discard any food that has been exposed to improper temperatures or has an unusual odor, color, or texture.
• Restock your emergency kit with fresh batteries, canned foods, and other supplies.